The historic wharves

Show map

Wharves, warehouses and boathouses have stood at the mouth of the Nidelva river since the earliest times. The locals traded goods here from near and far. In King Sverre’s day, the wharves were also used as defences. Barriers and corridors were built down by the river from where stones could be thrown at the enemy. Details about rules and restrictions were stated in Magnus Lagabøte’s bylaw of 1276. The old wharf buildings that have been preserved line both sides of the Nidelva - in Kjøpmannsgata, Bakklandet, Fjordgata and Sandgata – and the oldest of these date from the 18th century.

Show more

About this activity

Nearby accommodations

Cabin & apartment

Valberg Slektsgård

Distance: 19.2 km
Hotel & Room

HAUGANFJÆRA CAMPING

Distance: 17.4 km
Hauganfjæra Camping in Frosta is located on the seafront in lush surroundings. Have apartments in addition to traditional camping. Located in close proximity to the island Tautra, with monastery, gallery and restaurant.
Hotel & Room

Best Western Stav Hotel - Accommodation

Distance: 16.1 km
Great panoramic view over the Trondheim Fjord. 65 rooms and 150 beds. A modern conference hotel localized only 10 minutes from the Trondheim Airport and 15 minutes from the Trondheim city centre.