Gamle Bybro - The Old Town Bridge - was first built on this site in 1681. At the same time, Kristiansten Fort was under construction. A sentry and excise house stood at either end of the bridge. The excise house on the west side is still standing and is in use as a kindergarten. The bridge and gates as they now stand were built in 1861 by Carl Adolf Dahl, the municipal officer in charge of public buildings and works.